There are times when I want to be a model wife.
Don’t take that the wrong way. I’m not going all Bruce Jenner on you. I’m very happy with the way God made me, thank you very much. But there’s something to be said for the qualities you find in a Godly wife – qualities I’d like to grow myself.
I was thinking about this because Sunday was Mother’s Day, and it reminded me how much I value the character traits my mother has grown and shown through the years. They are many of the same character traits I see in my wonderful wife. And that I see growing in my three daughters, my daughter-in-law, my wife’s two daughters, and my wife’s daughter-in-law.
They are the traits of a noble character.
My mom, my wife, all of these daughters … they are Proverbs 31 women. And that makes them rare and “worth far more than rubies.”
I looked back at those 21 verses (Proverbs 31:10-31) that serve as the epilogue for a book on wisdom, and here are some reasons a wife of noble character is so rare and valuable:
- She inspires confidence. (vv. 11, 28)
- She serves others. (vv. 12, 15, 21)
- She takes care of herself. (vv. 22, 25)
- She’s smart and makes wise choices. (vv. 16, 24, 26)
- She works hard on the right things. (vv. 16, 18, 24)
- She’s not lazy. (vv. 15, 17, 27)
- She gives to those in need. (vv. 15, 20)
- She’s faithful to God’s Word. (vv. 26)
- She makes others look good. (vv. 23)
- She fears the Lord. (vv. 30)
I don’t know about anyone else, but that’s all stuff to which I aspire as I struggle to grow like Jesus.
And listen to how people respond to this type of woman: “Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: ‘Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.’ … Honor her for all that her hands have done, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.” (vv. 28-29, 31)
Who are the Proverbs 31 women in your life? And how are you honoring them, not just on one day each year but at every opportunity?